(Scholarship Application begins on next page. Please read completely and carefully)
This scholarship has been developed by friends and family to honor the memory of the late R. Wayne “Bubba” Alexander of Valdosta, a beloved and respected son, brother, friend, and leader of his community.
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide recognition and financial assistance to high school seniors residing in Lowndes County and attending a high school within, who wish to further their education by attending an accredited college or university in the state of Georgia. The student chosen for the scholarship should have demonstrated his/her ability and desire to achieve academically while also demonstrating strong character. The student should have need for funds to meet the necessary college expenses in order to achieve his/her dream of attending an accredited college or university in the state of Georgia. Multiple recipients may be awarded the scholarship.
Minimum award of $1,000 will be payable to the recipient and accredited college or university in the state of Georgia which the student(s) select(s).
- The student must graduate from a high school located in Lowndes County, Georgia.
- The student must demonstrate financial need.
- The student must have plans to attend an accredited college or university in the state of Georgia in his/her future.
Student Requirements and Application Process:
- Student must complete a memorial scholarship application form (attached)
- Student must submit two (2) written recommendation letters; one academic/professional reference and one personal reference
- Student must submit a current high school transcript
- Student must submit a current photo
- Student must write and attach an approximately 250-word essay on why s/he is unique as an individual and what experiences in his/her life have made him/her deserving of this scholarship.
- All applications must be submitted online by 3 pm on April 1.
- The memorial scholarship committee may contact the attending high school to determine if the applicant is eligible to receive the scholarship.
- The memorial scholarship committee will make its selection(s) and notify the scholarship recipient in May during the annual honors program for the attending school.
- The R. Wayne “Bubba” Alexander Memorial Scholarship Fund will grant all monies payable to the recipient and to the recipient’s accredited college or university in the state of Georgia after s/he has successfully graduated from the attending high school no later than August 1.
Number of Awards:
The R. Wayne “Bubba” Alexander Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to one or more recipients from a high school in Lowndes County, Georgia, per academic year as long as the funds are available.
If you prefer to mail the application in, click here to download it. Once completed, mail the application to:
R. Wayne "Bubba" Alexander, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Application
P.O. Box 2224
Valdosta, GA 31604-2224